Shopping cart compatibility, will any Internet merchant account work?
The short answer is no. For an Internet merchant account to be compatible with a specific shopping cart, the merchant account must utilize a compatible payment gateway. So, to simplify this, the shopping cart must be compatible with the payment gateway and the payment gateway must be compatible with the merchant account.
The job of the payment gateway is to form a bridge between the website’s shopping cart and the merchant account. The payment gateway will encrypt and transmit the customer’s credit card information securely to and from the merchant account.
Shopping Cart Compatibility Worksheet – Tips for getting a shopping cart set up.
My business already has a merchant account. You already have a merchant account and are looking to enable a web based shopping experience.
- First, you will need to determine if your merchant account supports internet based transactions. If you have a retail store and have a merchant account set up, you will need to apply for another account that will allow internet transactions. If your current account is a MOTO (mail order, telephone order) account, you can typically turn on internet transactions without setting up a new account.
- Next you will need to ask your processor “What payment gateways are compatible with my account?”
- There are fees associated with the payment gateway so if you have multiple options you will want to investigate the cost and functionality associated with each one. Payment gateway functionality.
- Once you have selected the appropriate payment gateway, you will want to determine the shopping carts that are compatible with that gateway.
- Last, you will want to select the shopping cart that has the features you are looking for.
My business has a website and shopping cart and we’re looking for an Internet merchant account. You have already built your website and have selected a shopping cart or have built a custom shopping cart.
- The first question is, what kind on shopping cart do you have? A commercially available pre-built shopping cart or a custom shopping cart?
- If you have a commercially available pre-built cart you will need to investigate merchant service providers (processors) that offer a payment gateway that is compatible with the shopping cart. If the processor has a compatible payment gateway available it will also be compatible with the merchant account.
- If your shopping cart is custom built you will need to investigate merchant service providers (processors) that have a payment gateway with an open and fully documented API (application programmer’s interface) available.
My business has neither a shopping cart nor an Internet merchant account. You are at the beginning phase of establishing an eCommerce site.
- You will want to select a merchant service provider (processor) that offers a payment gateway that is compatible with multiple pre-built shopping carts and offers a open and fully documented API (application programmer’s interface). More information on starting an ecommerce website